The reasons students are not happy to speak in the classroom that you came up with fell into the first two categories.
Language: the don't know the vocabulary, they don't know the pronunciation.
Motivation: fear of making mistakes, fear of being laughed at, just being teenagers, a lack of interest.
Some tips to help with the motivation.
- The more they speak … the more mistakes they make.
- Give time to prepare and plan.
- Encourage a friendly, supportive environment.
- Allow for lots of variety.
- Allow chance to repeat the activity.
- Favour pair and group work rather than whole class
- Don’t make them do what they don’t want to.
- Pick topics that will interest and won’t embarrass.
Finding the right topic always helps.
A quote for Christina and Clive.
A good topic for us is one that both the student and the teacher can contribute to from their own knowledge and experience.
So for example:
Things that matter to you
Things that you hope for
Things that you want to complain about
Some more information about English File can be found here:
with samples of the videos here
Thanks for coming to the events and I hope you enjoyed them and hope to see you again soon.